Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Dior Fall 2008 Couture


Nowadays, the shows never seem to end, with the fall couture shows in Paris starting hot on the heels of the resort collections. I like couture because it is really a dying art form that is fading off scarily, and it really embraces the art of fashion and exquisite craftsmanship. But I was a little unimpressed with yesterday's Dior show. That's not to say I was disappointed, there are plenty of amazing clothes here, but it didn't immediately capture me the way that amazing spring show did. The silhouettes mostly favored large flared skirts and other classic Dior shapes, and there were some really pretty pieces, but the elements were ones that were seen a lot on the spring and fall ready-to-wear runways: lace, sheer fabrics, tailoring (although what is a Dior show without tailoring, really). There wasn't any forward-leaping trend that I could latch onto and obsess over. Just some pretty spectacular workmanship and line. So overall it doesn't inspire me much, but it's definitely not bad. Maybe it's not dark enough for me. I'm currently obsessed with a darker vibe than this decadent show put on (Rodarte, anyone?).
image: source

No comments:

 
Site Meter